Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Great Series: The All-of-a-Kind Family Books

During a crazy, busy week at my house, where I'm trying to be a good mom, freelance writer, blogger, short-order cook, laundry maid, chauffeur and half-way decent wife (oh, and my seven year old wants me to sew the arm back on her favorite bear -- I guess that makes me a bear surgeon?) -- I am going to instead revert back to my childhood and share one of my favorite series of books ever written. They are the All-of-a-kind Family books, by Sydney Taylor.

Written by the author to share her childhood memories with her own daughter, these books tell the story of a turn-of-the-century Jewish family on New York's Lower East Side. The sisters in the book, Ella, Henny, Sarah, Charlotte and Gertie, live in a tight knit family full of love and tradition.

Girls will enjoy getting to know the family members and reading the funny and sometimes touching stories of their lives. As a girl, I loved the fact that the sisters all seemed to have radically different personalities, not unlike me and my own siblings (and not unlike the two little girls that I call my own). But still -- they all helped each other, loved each other and, most of all, laughed together -- like family is meant to do.

The books describe in detail the different elements of Jewish traditions and celebrations, a part that I particularly enjoyed -- as well as the rich exposition of everyday life in turn of the century New York City. In the first book, for example, we see the family face illness, take a trip to the beach, celebrate the fourth of July -- they even add another family member -- and needless to say all of these events were handled just a little differently 100 years ago!

Enjoy this series of books with your girls -- start with All-of-a-kind Family and move on to the others -- this is a great series for independent readers ages 9-13, but also fun for family read aloud. I can't think of a better way to spend time together!

Now if you'll excuse me ... I've got a teddy bear prepped for surgery.

No comments: