Friday, September 28, 2007

Picture Book Pick: Trixie's Back -- and Better Than Ever!


It may seem to many that I am being paid by Mo Willems to promote his books -- sadly, this is not true. I am such a big fan, though -- along with my 7 year old who is a HUGE fan -- that I can hardly help myself. That said, you and your girls MUST read Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity.

My 7 year old immediately pulled it off the shelf when we were at Barnes and Noble the other day, made me squeeze my bottom into one of their teeny Adirondack chairs -- and ordered me to read it with her.

That's what I love about Mo Willems and my darling daughter who is blossoming as an early reader -- she likes to read Trixie's lines and I get to be everyone else.

As we sat, my hips wedged into the tiny chair, we were thrilled to see that Trixie was back -- bigger and better and heading to Pre-K, with her beloved Knuffle Bunny, of course. We chuckled as Trixie argues with her classmate Sonja -- who happens to bring a Knuffle Bunny impostor! We laughed as Trixie realizes in the wee hours of the morning that she is sleeping with the wrong Knuffle Bunny! And we all out guffawed as Trixie refuses to budge until her dear Dad solves the problem.

Willems' illustrations are fantastic as usual -- superimposed over actual photographs. And the subject matter couldn't be more appropriate for girls who still cling to Blankies, Lovies, Wubbies, or in my 7 year old's case, Bear. My own sweet girl felt Trixie's pain, and hugged her Bear a little closer that night.

Your girls will love this picture book -- and so will you. Enjoy Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity -- and have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: