Thursday, August 30, 2007

Classic Picture Book: Brave Irene


Every two weeks my girls and I go to the library and check out an enormous pile of books (though I do encourage the girls to store them in one place it can get awfully difficult to keep track of them all!). I am often surprised by the amount of picture books that they bring home and dismiss relatively quickly -- I keep a close eye on these things and take note of the books that they want to read again and again.

One of the books that they can't get enough of is the picture book classic Brave Irene, by William Steig. Perhaps best known today as the author of the original Shrek!, Steig hits the nail on the head with this sweet picture book -- and in my capacity as a "girl book" reviewer, I see tremendous value in this story. Why do my girls like this picture book so much? I think they can see themselves in the main character, Irene.

Irene is a good daughter, who must deliver a dress that her sick mother has made for the duchess. On the way to the duchess' house, Irene encounters a fierce snowstorm. The storm becomes a character in the story that battles against Irene's equally fierce determination. But just when the storm seems ready to declare victory, Irene's ingenuity shines through and she finds her way past the trouble.

Steig's illustrations bring Irene to life, and I love the writing especially as Irene shouts at her nemesis, the wind. But my favorite part is the end, when we see so clearly the love between Irene and her mother.

This book makes a great gift from one generation to the next -- my own mother sent my oldest daughter a copy several Christmases ago. It's a wonderful story of adventure, hope and determination -- a wonderful message to send to any girl.

No comments: