Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Young Adult Pick: Follow the Rules of the Road


If you are a young adult (or know one) in search of an author who is consistently producing great books -- you can't go wrong with Joan Bauer. Her skilled writing, entertaining plots, and funny, human characters will pull you in and leave you wanting more.

This inspiring writer (read her story) has eight young adult novels under her belt. I haven't read them all, but one that I adored was Rules of the Road. This book introduces the nearly 6 foot, 16 year old Jenna Boller and follows her on a road trip with her boss, the indomitable Mrs. Gladstone, from Chicago to Dallas.

I think any teenager can relate to Jenna, who feels most comfortable when she's working in her sales job at a shoe store. According to Jenna,

"I succeeded here. I made money here. I didn't feel big, awkward, and lost. I felt successful. I helped people. They looked to me instead of away."

The introduction of Jenna's family members (including her alcoholic father), and her quirky co-workers make this story sing with realism. The humor is perfect, the emotions are true -- the writing flows on the page in a fast-paced rhythm. You'll find yourself routing for Jenna every step of the way.

As a writer, I am a great admirer of Ms. Bauer's skill -- and as a mother of girls I appreciate that her books present teenagers in a positive light. There's a wonderful message in this book of hope in spite of adversity -- and Jenna emerges as a strong, compassionate human being. When considering the kinds of books I want my girls reading when they hit the teenage years, I will absolutely encourage them to read Joan Bauer.

I think you'll love these books -- give them a try -- and let me know what you think when you're done....

Enjoy!

No comments: