Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A Note from the Author!

Thanks to Eleanora E. Tate, for checking the blog and for sending me these comments:

Dear Christina,

Thank you so much for your kind words about Celeste's Harlem Renaissance. I was so surprised to hear from you and went quickly to your blog. Character and setting are two of my favorite literary elements, and Celeste, my main character, grew so quickly, from beginning to end of her journey. Didn't she have some twists and turns! My Discussion Guide for Celeste's Harlem Renaissance is on my website.

Eleanora E. Tate, author.
http://www.eleanoraetate.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christina,
I love the look and content of this site. I look forward to visiting often.

I am presently reading a great book for girls, Red Scarf Girl: A Memoir of the *Cultural Revolution* by author Ji-li Jiang.

Copyright 1997, published by HarperCollins Publishers. Forward by David Henry Hwang - ISBN 0-06-446208-0 (pbk.) 1. Jiang, Ji-li. 2.China-History-Cultural Revolution,1966-1969-Personal narratives-Juvenile literature.

The book begins with the 12 year old girl, Ji-li Jiang, telling us about what it happening in her life in 1966. The following from the back cover of the book sums up what the book is about.

--In 1966, twelve-year-old Ji-li Jiang had everything: brains, the admiration of her classmates, a bright future in Communist China. But that year China's leader, Mao Ze-dong, launched the Cultural Revolution, and Ji-li's world began to fall apart.
Over the next few years, her family was humiliated by friends and neighbors. They lived in constant terror or arrest, and when her father was finally detained, Ji-li faced the most difficult dilema of her life.
This is the true story of one family's courage and determination during one of the most terrifying eras of the twentieth century.--

My granddaughter, at 11 years old, thought this was a very good book. Although I have only just started it, and am only on page 49 of it's 285 pages, I heartily agree. This clearly shows that one is never too old for any good book!!

If you have not read Red Scarf Girl, I look forward to your comments on if you get the opportunity to read it.

Every best to you and yours everyday,
Gramma Georgianne